8.29.2009

Annie Dillard teach me your ways.

She is nine, beloved, as open-faced as the sky and as self-contained. I have watched her grow. As recently as three or four years ago, she had a young child's perfectly shallow receptiveness; she fitted into the world of time, it fitted into her, as thoughtlessly as sky fits its edges, or a river its banks. But as she has grown, her smile has widened with a touch of fear and her glance has taken on depth. Now she is aware of some of the losses you incur by being here--the extortionary rent you have to pay as long as you stay.

Aces and Eights

1 comment:

pearl said...

Oh my god, that is my favorite essay, of anything I've ever read of Dillard's. Those words have stuck with me since I read it, coming to mind at the strangest times. Kat, I hope moving in and classes starting are going well! Hug Emily and Laurie for me.